Links to sites that offer good quality topographic maps. Many of these sites have an export and/or a buy map option.
The following sites provide maps, with satellite imagery, relief contours and street maps
, for the whole world:
Maps of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), which cover the whole territory of the United States at scale 1:24 k, are free and can be downloaded from several sites.
- gmap4: a great site for viewing topo maps of the USA and Canada. gmap4 features a free full-screen display of high-quality scans of the USGS maps, without ads nor watermarks. gmap4 has many options, including the possibility to apply a variable relief shading and to display and edit GPX tracks.
- Less convenient viewer: caltopo.com
- ACME Mapper: full screen display of topo maps from ESRI.
- MyTopo.com, Digital-topo-maps: map scans are of lower quality, ads and watermarks are present and no full screen display.
Example: Kings canyon National Park
(georeferenced USGS map, scale 1:24k, size: 53 Mo)
- Map connect: free download of topographic maps up to scale 250k (various formats available, including geoPDF and ECW).
- aus-emap.com: browse topographic maps up to scale 250k.
- Gavin Harriss' map viewer: full screen view of New Zealander maps at scale 50k, with possibility to download maps.
- Land Information: free download of topographic maps of New Zealand at scale 50k and 250k (format: GeoTIFF).
Peter Robins' site
contains excellent map viewers
for many european countries.
(It has also interesting links and explanations on map projections).
- Lantmäteriet: good topographic maps and aerial images.
This article (in swedish) explains how such maps can be used in Multiplans.
The swedish projection SWEREF99 is known to Multiplans: select map projection EPSG number 3006.
- OS OpenData Ordnance Survey maps at 1:1,000,000, 1:250,000, 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 street plans. All free to download and use. Format: TIFF with TAB and TFW calibration files. Projection is OSGB transverse mercator Airy 1830 datum.
(Ordnance Survey Opendata. Contains Ordnance Survey Data ©Crown copyright and database right 2011)
Example map 1: londonstreet.osz
(15 MB) coverage: Street map of London
Example map 2: gbminiscale.osz
(28 MB) coverage: Great Britain
The above two OS maps have been converted into the OSZ format using program MAPC2MAPC.
- Peter Robins' full screen viewer
- Ordnance Survey Explore.
Géoportail: mapviewer for french topographic maps at all scales. Limited export options. IGN maps (in digital format) can be bought from the IGN web site.
ViaMichelin: road maps. Limited export options.
- France at scale 1:1mio: download it from page Maps.
- map.geo.admin.ch: free browsing of swisstopo maps at all scales. Maps can be downloaded in pdf format.
- Wanderland: topographic maps (+ layers for hiking trails, biking, ...)
- Geoportal sites of swiss cantons: VD, GE, NE, FR, JU, BE
- map.search.ch: satellite pictures and maps
- Switzerland and surrounding regions at scale 1:1mio: download it from page Maps.
To buy swiss maps:
Swiss Map Raster
: the swiss maps in digital format (those maps are great to use in Multiplans)
Link to buy swisstopo maps in paper and/or digital format: toposhop
- Géoportail: browse maps of Luxembourg (with export option)
◯ Central Asia including Nepal
If you know of web sites (or programs) that contain topographic maps of good quality for a country or region, please send us a link so we can complete this list!
I thank Toby Hawkes, Jonas Ewe, Christer Tonning, John Thorn and Mick Borroff for pointing out some links to me.